4. BARBELL EXERCISIES: THE PUSH PRESS
This lift is an enormous aid to developing the amount of power you are able to generate. Additionally, the advanced elements of the progression – the Push Press and Jerk – train for and develop power and speed. It´s about getting the bar from your shoulders into an overhead position with the help of a dive.
PUSH PRESS TECHNIQUE
- Secure the bar in the Jerk rack position with the feet at approximately hip-width and toes turned out slightly.
- Keep the weight balanced on the heels while maintaining full foot contact with the floor.
- Bend slightly at the knees only, keeping the trunk vertical and the weight on the heels.
- Transition immediately at the bottom of this dip and drive aggressively with the legs against the floor to accelerate the barbell upward.
- As you finish the extension of the legs, begin pushing against the bar with the arms, keeping the knees straight and immediately drop back to flat feet.
- Pull the head back out of the way of the bar to clear a direct path, and push the bar into a fully locked overhead position behind the neck as you would in the jerk.
- As the bar leaves the shoulders, spread the elbows to move them under the bar as soon as possible, and bring the head forward through the arms as the bar passes.