Who doesn’t love a big bowl of colourful berries?!? Berries are regularly touted as a superfood and for good reason. They are full on anthocyanins, fibre, polyphenols and vitamins which help supercharge your recovery. Berries can be eaten anytime but may be of particular use when you are in an intense training cycle and need all the support you can get.
How to use –
- Add to your breakfast – on top of greek yoghurt/porridge/protein pancakes
- Blended in a smoothie – using frozen berries is a cost effective way of buying them and reducing waste
- Add to your meals – berries go really well with game meat such as venison
Adding coconut oil into your daily nutrition is a great idea for all CrossFitters. The benefits of coconut oil include –
- Increased energy
- Improved digestion
- Lowering inflammation
- Lowering oxidative stress
- Improved cognitive function
- Improved fat burning
If you train early in the morning, are on a low carbohydrate diet or you are vegan then coconut oil should be a staple in your daily nutrition. A large portion of coconut oil is made up from saturated fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s). These are metabolised differently than other saturated fats and are subsequently used more rapidly as an energy source. Use these tips to increase your consumption at the correct times –
How to use –
- Blend with coffee or matcha green tea for a pre-workout drink
- Use to cook with – stir frys, sautéing, roasting.
- Substitute for other ingredients in baked goods
So wild fish have high levels of health boosting omega 3 fatty acids – where do they get this from – yep – algae. Spirulina and its close neighbour Chlorella are some of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Compared to any other plant, spirulina has the highest concentration of antioxidants in the world, the highest concentration of beta carotene in the world and can support healthy gut bacteria. And if that isn’t enough it contains over 40 vitamins and minerals despite having only one calorie per serving. When it comes to boosting CrossFit performance Spirulina provides iron, nitric oxide, has high levels of B-Vitamins that can support endurance gainz! It really does deserve the label of super-food.
How to use –
- To really reap the benefits you need to be consuming around 4-6g per day.
- My recommendation is to use a mix of tablets and powder.
- Add the powder into smoothies or shakes and take your tablets with main meals.
- weight-loss-exercise-vs-diet: Right photo courtesy of CrossFit Inc.