The bench press has always been an important exercise for bodybuilders, strength athletes and powerlifters. It is an effective movement for introducing pressing strength to beginners.
- Hard active work for the chest, shoulders and arms, isometric work for the forearms
- A very good place to learn how to bear weight and support a weighted movement
- Especially useful for building upper body and tricep strength
- Shoulders back on the setup/rear delts resting on the bench
- Bring the weight over the chest (not above the eyes)
- Shoulders tight on the setup leading to a tight arch in the back
- Break the bar on the way down: puts elbows in the right position
- Spread the bar with the hands on the way up: activates the triceps
- Wide feet/pushing feet into the ground/ spreading the floor with the feet
Don’t have a bench? Execute this movement while lying on the floor. The floor press, often called the “poor man’s bench,” will still increase your pressing power.
- Beginner-exercises: Stevie D Photography