At only 24, Brooke Wells is a 5x CrossFit Games athlete that is coached by Ben Bergeron. Brooke offers a great deal of advice on both the physical and mental side of training. Try applying some of her lessons to your own life and training in order to become a better, healthier and happier athlete.
This article contains multiple workouts from Brooke’s programming, accompanied by warm ups and tips from the talented young athlete.
TALK to yourself, instead of LISTENING to yourself
“Discouragement can come in many different forms; sometimes it’s the voice inside your head that tells you you’re not good enough, or other times it may come from giving your very best and not succeeding. Fuel your heart with encouragement in these six ways:”
- how you talk to yourself
- what you visualize
- what you watch
- what you read
- what you listen to
- who you surround yourself with
“Then, choose to believe that everything that happens to you is in your best interest, and it will turn all your challenges into opportunities.”
Source: CrossFit Inc
“MY Number 1 ? to success; HAPPINESS! Have FUN. There’s times to be serious & put your game face on ? but don’t take every second of training so seriously!! It’s okay to LAUGH and ENJOY THE PROCESS”
SQUAT WARM UP
9 min EMOM:
- 45 second bike. Increasing effort each round.
- 8 Kang Squats with empty bar. Essentially a Good Morning into a squat. Great to open up hips & prepare hamstrings.
- 15 banded squats. Focusing on pushing your knees out against the band to get your glutes firing & knees tracking correctly.
21-15-9, For Time:⠀
- Back Squats (315/225#)⠀
- Strict Handstand Push-ups
“Hey Ben, any suggestions on how I should break this up??” -Me
“You’re not.” – Ben Bergeron