CrossFit Games Athlete, Titan Games winner, amazing gymnast and all round badass, Dani Speegle is a force to be reckoned with! Check out Dani Speegle before CrossFit in images below.
Use her tips on training and competing to raise your own game, and be inspired by her amazing dedication and transformation through fitness.
DANI SPEEGLE BEFORE CROSSFIT
“And just like that…3 years strong of CrossFit. 3 years strong of deciding I want to be better.
The changes I’ve made to my life these past 3 years have been significant. They’ve been challenging. They’ve been hard at times but absolutely worth it. They’ve been life altering, and path changing, and they’ve made me the happiest version of myself that I could’ve created.
The picture on the left is me right before I started CrossFit. I was still “athletic” but far from healthy. I knew nothing about nutrition or what being healthy really meant. I wasn’t confident or truly happy with myself. However, without that girl and her struggles the WOMAN on the right wouldn’t exist. The woman on the right is strong. She’s happy. She’s healthy. She’s confident with her body. She smiles more and laughs genuinely. She takes more risks, goes on more adventures; she LIVES. That was the biggest change throughout my transformation. I started living life, really living it and not letting the days go by insignificantly. I enjoy every single day and every single moment. It’s amazing how much clarity and growth you can accomplish when you’re not worried about how your clothes are fitting or how your legs are jiggling or how other people are looking at you. It’s liberating.”
“This past year has been a huge year for me in terms of nutrition and health and all around happiness. I have enjoyed the journey incredibly and it’s been beyond rewarding. I want to help others feel the way I feel and reach their goals in health, fitness, and life. It takes one day, one decision, one step into a gym, one email asking about nutrition help……one. Take the one. Start today. Change your body, change your life, change your happiness.”
•••••Left- 2018 Atlantic Regionals•••••
•••••Right- 2019 Strength in Depth•••••
“Same movement. Different year. Different me.
Complacency and comfort are the enemies of progress.
This past year has brought a lot of changes, and this season couldn’t be any more different than the last. It’s incredible to be able to watch yourself get closer and closer to achieving your goals. No matter where you are in whatever journey you’re on; keep moving forward-keep working-keep pushing the boundaries-keep challenging yourself-keep chasing the dream-keep enjoying the process—-you will look back and love reminding yourself where you started.”
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO NEW PEOPLE STARTING OUT AND LOOKING TO COMPETE?
“Enjoy the journey. It’s easy to get so wrapped up in the end goal and keep looking ahead to the day you’ll step out on to the competition floor; but enjoy each day, enjoy each PR, enjoy the process. One day you’ll look back and you won’t believe where you started and it’ll happen in the blink of an eye.
Capture each training day and be proud of each step you take towards your goal – it’ll make the end goal so much sweeter.”
The next major CrossFit Event is the 2021 Open, which will be held in February and March, 2021. Registration will begin in January. Check out the next page for Dani’s tips and her workouts.
DANI SPEEGLE’S TOP 10 TIPS FOR THE CROSSFIT OPEN
1. Don’t freak out. It’s just another day in the gym; doing another workout.
2. Don’t change anything in your normal routine just because you’re doing an open workout. Don’t change your diet, your warm up routine, your day. Just walk into the gym like it’s any other day because IT IS.
3. Know if you plan on doing the workout once or twice and set up time to do just that.
4. Have a support system. The open is all about the community within a gym and it brings people together and it’s a time of year where incredible things happen. Let your fellow members cheer you on, workout with you-let the magic happen.
5. Smile before you start each workout. Remember that you love what you’re doing and no matter the outcome of the workout you’re doing this for YOU.
6. Don’t be too hard on yourself. The open makes amazing things happen but it always seems to also bring about a lot of doubt. Keep in mind that there are 5 workouts, and not every workout is going to go your way. And that’s ok.
7. Have a plan B. You go into workout saying “ok I’m going to do this unbroken, and then I’m going to do this, this, and this” and then all of a sudden you’re in the workout and it’s not going according to plan so you start freaking out and getting into your own head, and mentally giving up. Don’t do that. Have a back up plan, and another one and realise that you might have to jump ship on your original plan.
8. Don’t leaderboard your life away.
9. EAT. Fuel your body for the workout, and help it recover after!
I LOVED this workout today? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
10 rounds: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
12 hang dumbbell snatch (70/50) ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
30ft unbroken handstand walk ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I put a dumbbell on each side of my 30ft section to push myself to keep moving and not use the transition as rest cause I have a nasty habit of doing that
How my workouts go??
Do the work✊?—-
try to find my soul again?—-
complain a little?—-
dance it out ?
DB snatch (80/65)
Bench press (155/105) •@ minute 10•
45 devil’s press for time (50/35)
On Wednesdays….we PR? thruster at 225#
-In 15 minutes complete-
10 thrusters (95/65)
3 ring muscle ups •••
*****In remaining time establish a 1RM thruster
3 rounds: •••14-12-10•••
Air bike calories
Chest to bar
*rest 3 minutes after each round *****can you go sub 3 on every round?*****