Dr Mike Diamonds has put together an excellent and effective 5 step checklist to help you burn fat this year.
He is a medical doctor and fitness coach with close to a million followers on youtube. He also created the Sculpt by Science website.
Step 1. Diet
Diet helps with weight loss by creating a calorie deficit, meaning you consume fewer calories than you burn through daily activities and exercise. Eating a balanced diet with healthier food options, portion control, and reducing unhealthy food choices can lead to reduced calorie intake and successful weight loss.
Healthy high protein foods include:
- Chicken breast
- Turkey breast
- Greek yogurt
- Nuts and seeds (such as almonds and chia seeds)
- Lean beef and pork loin.
Healthy complex carbohydrates include:
Whole grain breads and cereals
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Butternut squash
- Whole grain pasta
- Legumes (such as black beans, lentils, chickpeas)
- Vegetables (such as broccoli, carrots, and corn)
- Fruits (such as apples, bananas, and berries).
The recommended daily protein intake depends on a person’s age, sex, and level of physical activity. On average, the recommended daily intake for adult men and women is about 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.
For a sedentary woman, this is about 46 grams of protein per day, while for a sedentary man, it is about 56 grams per day. However, athletes and individuals with a high level of physical activity may require more protein. It’s best to consult a doctor or dietitian for personalized recommendations.
Step 2. Resistance Training
Resistance training, also known as strength training or weightlifting, is a type of physical exercise that uses resistance to muscle contraction. This resistance can come from weights (such as dumbbells or barbells), resistance bands, body weight, or other means. The goal of resistance training is to increase muscular strength, size, and endurance. Resistance training is often performed using specific exercises that target specific muscle groups, and it is typically done two to four times per week as part of a well-rounded exercise program.
Resistance training can help with weight loss by building muscle mass, which in turn increases the number of calories you burn at rest (i.e. your resting metabolic rate). Resistance training also helps to maintain muscle mass while losing weight, which is important because muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue. In addition, resistance training can boost your confidence and motivation to stick to a healthy diet, which is a key factor in weight loss success.
Resistance training is typically done in conjunction with aerobic exercise and a healthy diet for best results in weight loss.
Step 3. Cardio
Cardiovascular exercise, commonly referred to as “cardio,” is any type of exercise that increases your heart rate and breathing rate, making your heart and lungs work harder. Cardio exercises include activities such as running, cycling, swimming, rowing, and aerobics. Cardio exercises are important for improving cardiovascular health, burning calories, and supporting weight loss. Regular cardio exercise can help increase your endurance, reduce the risk of chronic diseases, and improve mental health. It is recommended to do moderate-intensity cardio for at least 150 minutes per week as part of a well-rounded exercise program.
Cardio helps with weight loss by burning calories and increasing your heart rate, leading to an increase in overall energy expenditure. When you engage in cardio, your body burns a combination of carbohydrates and fats to produce energy, which results in calorie burn. By consistently performing cardio and creating a calorie deficit through diet and exercise, you can effectively lose weight. In addition, cardio can improve cardiovascular health and boost metabolism, leading to more efficient calorie burn even when you’re not actively exercising. Cardio should be done in conjunction with a balanced diet and resistance training for best results in weight loss.
Step 4. Recovery
For Dr Mike Diamonds, recovery means good quality sleep. Good quality sleep has several benefits for the body:
- Boosts immunity: Sleep helps the body repair and restore the immune system, reducing the risk of illness.
- Improves mental health: Sleep has been shown to improve mood, reduce stress, and enhance cognitive function.
- Regulates hormones: Sleep helps regulate hormones such as cortisol, insulin, and ghrelin, which play a role in metabolism and hunger.
- Supports physical health: Sleep is essential for repairing and restoring muscle tissue, supporting overall physical health, and reducing the risk of injury.
- Promotes weight loss: Poor sleep can disrupt hormones that regulate hunger and metabolism, leading to weight gain. Good quality sleep helps to regulate these hormones, promoting weight loss and healthy weight management.
- Enhances overall performance: Good quality sleep improves focus, alertness, and reaction time, leading to enhanced overall performance in physical and mental activities.
Therefore, getting 7-9 hours of good quality sleep each night is important for overall health and well-being.
Step 5. Supplementation
Supplementation plays a smaller role in the entire list of how to lose belly fat. However, it is important to know that you can supplement your diet accordingly, even if you are a beginner. Choose supplements that are highly researched such as protein powder and creatine.
Those are the 5 best tips for losing belly fat from Dr. Mike Diamonds. If you want to hear more from him, check out the video below.
- Dr Mike Diamonds: Dr Mike Diamonds