This best chest, shoulders and triceps push workout is part of pro bodybuilder Jeff Nippard‘s Push Pull Legs (PPL) routine.
If you’d like to read about similar push pull legs programs you can find the details below:
- The Smartest Push Pull Legs Routine
- Build Massive Muscle Gains with The Perfect Pull Workout
- Best Science-Based Lower Body Workout to Grow Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes and Calves
- The Best Science-Based Push Workout (Chest, Shoulders and Triceps) Part 2
Push Pull Leg program
You can split your PPL training as follows:
- Day 1 – Pull 1
- Day 2 – Push 1
- Day 3 – Legs 1
- Day 4 – Pull 2
- Day 5 – Push 2
- Day 6 – Legs 2
- Day 7 – Rest
As you can see, you’ll be doing each motion twice a week. It is therefore recommended that you alternate exercises or targeted muscle groups. You can structure your training like this:
- Legs 1 (Quad Focus)
- Push 1 (Chest Focused)
- Pull 1 (Lat Focused)
- Legs 2 (Posterior Chain Focused)
- Push 2 (Delt Focus)
- Pull 2 (Mid-Back and Rear Delt Focused)
Best Chest, Shoulders and Triceps Push Workout
|Bench Press||4||4-6 (RPE: 7-8)|
|Incline Cable Fly||3||12-15|
|Standing Dumbbell Press||4||10-12|
|Egyptian Lateral Raise||4||12-15|
|Static Dumbbell Holds||2||60 seconds holds|
|Rope Facepull (optional)||3||20|
The Bench Press should be part of your training if you want to develop your chest. It is very conductive to progressive overload, there’s a strong correlation between males with a big chest and big bench press numbers, and it has great carryover to other exercises.
Additionally, there are many bench press variations for you to try:
- Build a Huge Chest with the Reverse Grip Bench Press – Benefits, Technique, Muscles Worked
- How to Build a Huge Chest with the Barbell Incline Bench Press
- Reasons Why You Should Do Close Grip Bench Press
- Dumbbell Bench Press Benefits, Mistakes to Avoid and Workouts
The Incline Cable Fly integrates much of the pec muscle while also including shoulder and triceps work. An incline of around 45 degrees should optimise upper-pec involvement.
Using cables provides a more consistent tension on the pecs, but if you don’t have access to a cable fly machine, the dumbbell fly is a good alternative.
The Standing Dumbbell Press is incredibly effective at targeting the shoulders and activating the delt muscles, especially the front delt. Additionally, the Egyptian Lateral Raise will target your side delt, especially if you perform the exercise between the legs.
Triceps Pressdowns are important for isolating the triceps. While you will have already worked on these muscles during the bench press and the standing dumbbell press, if you want to optimise your progress these are a great exercise to add to your program.
The purpose of the Static Dumbbell Holds is to combine a high degree of metabolic stress with a high degree of stretch at the same time.