The Rogue Invitational announced it’ll be postponed “In the interest of allowing more time to collect and process all information concerning the COVID-19 outbreak” last night.
This is the latest Sanctional to postpone its competition , with the Down Under Championship making the decision two days ago and eight other Sanctionals postponing last week.
Only last week, the Rogue Invitational released a statement announcing they’d keep a close eye on the COVID-19 uncertainty, seeking guidance from the government and the medical community, but they planned to go ahead as scheduled.
The Sanctional, which offers one of the biggest prize purses outside the CrossFit Games, was scheduled to run the weekend of May 15-17 in Columbus, Ohio. The competition has been postponed to June 13-14.
It seems like the second installation of the Rogue Invitational will happen throughout two days instead of three, as previously planned.
“We apologize for any inconvenience, and want all ticket holders to know that their tickets are and will be fully refundable at any time on or before June 7th. We plan to provide a complete update with any and all new information on April 15th,” event organisers posted on Instagram.
Two days ago, the Down Under Championship also announced date changes for the competition. The Sanctional, which was scheduled for May 22-24 in Wollongong, will now take place on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of July.
“This Change has not been taken lightly and was made with the best intentions and interests of everyone involved,” the Sanctional posted on Instagram.
In a world where the situation is changing by the hour, this is what the Sanctionals calendar looks like at the time of writing:
- CrossFit Atlas Games (March 13 – 15, 2020) – postponed
- CrossFit West Coast Classic (March 20 – 22, 2020) – postponed
- German Throwdown – (March 28 – 29, 2020) – postponed to July 18-19
- Reykjavik CrossFit Championship (April 3-5, 2020) – postponed to June
- ELFIT CrossFit Championship (April 8 -11, 2020) – postponed to June
- Mid-Atlantic CrossFit Challenge (April 17 – 19, 2020) – postponed to June 26-28
- Italian Showdown (April 24 – 26, 2020) – postponed
- Asia CrossFit Championship (May 8 – 10, 2020) – postponed to July 3-5
- The Rogue Invitational (May 15 – 17, 2020) – postponed to June 13-14
- Down Under CrossFit Championship (May 22 – 24, 2020) – postponed to July 3-5
The next scheduled Sanctional in the calendar is the Madrid CrossFit Championship, which announced four days ago it’d publish the next official update on April 3rd.
The same decision was reached by the CrossFit Lowlands Throwdown, currently scheduled for May 28-31. Event organisers plan to reassess the situation and make a decision on May 1st.
The International Online Qualifier #2 (IOQ2), an online qualifier to four Sanctionals, has also been pushed back.
The qualifier, which applies to the Asbury Park Games, the Madrid CrossFit Championship, the Granite Games and the Mayan Classic, will now take place from April 6-15. The IOG2 was set to start on March 23.
The decision came after thousands of Boxes around the world were forced or decided to close their doors to stop the spread of the coronavirus. With athletes wishing to compete in the qualifier unable to access their Boxes, it’d have been almost impossible to complete the workouts as prescribed.