4. EAT THE BEST QUALITY PRODUCE THAT YOUR BUDGET ALLOWS FOR
You don’t have to buy everything organic from expensive health food shops, but one basic thing to do is to buy the best you can afford.
Do a little bit of research to find a local producer that does amazing eggs for a fraction of the supermarket prices, or buy up superior cuts of meat and fish when they are on sale and freeze them.
Another tip is to buy larger cuts of meat and cook for a few meals at a time, this is always cheaper than buying the pre cut fillets, allowing you to spend more on better quality veg.
5. EAT SOME FORM OF PROTEIN AT BREAKFAST
This is something that I believe will make a huge difference to your health and performance regardless of your goal. Breakfast can be one of the meals that people eat a solely carbohydrate based meal.
Cornflakes and milk? Some people can go until 1.30pm before eating any form of protein (and even then it is usually only a small amount). If your goal is to build muscle, lose fat and be awesome at work then get some protein in your breakfast.
Why is having protein at breakfast is so crucial?
- Boost neurotransmitter production – boosts memory, attention and drive for the day ahead.
- It is linked to eating less throughout the day
- Stabilises energy levels – no mid morning energy dips
- Provides amino acids to build muscle and recover from training.
It doesn’t matter whether you do the 6am conditioning class or the 8pm weightlifting class, you can benefit from protein at breakfast.
Here are some great protein breakfast ideas
- Eggs – anyway you like – Omelettes, baked eggs, scrambled, poached, boiled……add veggies, add meat, add fish – be creative.
- Greek yoghurt – add nuts, seeds, berries, protein powder – done!
- Meat and nuts – Charles Poliquin championed this and I have had some awesome results using this method. Try it. Trust me.
- Chia seed puddings – google them. So versatile and can be used for snacks and desserts also.
- Smoothies – get yourself a nutribullet and start creating masterpieces! Great way to add in lots of different superfoods and nutrients. Add spirulina, maca and tyrosine into a morning smoothie.
CrossFit Nutrition: The Take Home Message
Nutrition is for life. Remember that everything you put in your mouth, in either solid or liquid form, is either helping you achieve your goal or hindering your progress. Make sure you understand the basics and make them a habit.