EMOM CrossFit kettlebell workouts are a great way to build stamina, strength and skill. The breaks between sets will give you just enough time to recover, but the length of the workouts will test your technique and fitness under fatigue.
Kettlebells, with their uneven centre of gravity, engage a vast number of muscles, so you can train your body as one unit with this old exercise tool.
Building raw strength is an essential part of any CrossFit training program; strength means better form, positive progress and the ability to RX workouts.
These EMOM CrossFit kettlebell workouts will help you improve your:
- Technique under fatigue
- Strength under fatigue
- Mental toughness
Most EMOM workouts last between 10 and 30 minutes, but there are many alternatives you could try. Don’t underestimate the relative low number of reps and keep your form as time ticks down, even if the pressure to finish might tempt you to cut some corners to save time.
Try out these six EMOM CrossFit kettlebell workouts to build strength, stamina and skill.
6 EMOM CrossFit Kettlebell Workouts
EMOM in 20 minutes:
- 16 Ball Slams (even)
- 16 KB Goblet Squats (odd)
- 12 KB Swings (Russian Style) (even)
- 12 KB Sumo Deadlifts High Pulls (odd)
For the first 10 minutes, perform 16 Ball Slams on even minutes and 16 Kettlebell Goblet Squat during odd minutes.
Go straight into 12 Kettlebell Swings for minute 11 and move on to Kettlebell Sumo Deadlift High Pulls for minute 12. Continue alternating these two exercises until 20 minutes are up.
The weight of the kettlebell should feel heavy for this EMOM workout but should allow you to finish the prescribed exercises within a minute. This is a great workout to test arm and core strength and mental resolve under fatigue.
EMOM in 12 minutes:
- Minute 1: 25 Single Arm KB Swings
- Minute 2: 25 Single Arm KB Swings
- Minute 3: 8 Burpee Box Jumps
One exercise per minute, repeat 4 times.
This is a great example of a varied EMOM kettlebell workout. Suitable for beginners, you’ll work on your arm strength before targeting your legs and core and getting your heart rate up with the burpee box jumps.
These are the most-common single arm kettlebell swing mistakes.
EMOM in 15 minutes:
- Minute 1: 10 Push Ups on KB
- Minute 2: 15 Unilateral Front Squat (Right)
- Minute 3: 15 Unilateral Front Squat (Left)
- Minute 4: 25 Kettlebell Swings
- Minute 5: 15 Goblet Squats
One exercise per minute, repeat 3 times.
After mastering the Goblet Squat, the unilateral front squats (or one-arm kettlebell front squat) are a great progression. By holding the kettlebell to one side, you’ll have to work on stabilising yourself and resist the rotary force that comes with the uneven weight.
- 2010 Central East Sectionals: Photo courtesy of CrossFit Inc
- 105315_Rehband_Crossfit-Games-Edition_Turquoise_1_high-res_logo: Rehband
- Man with Kettlebells: Under Armour
- EMOM-crossfit-kettlebell-workouts: Courtesy of CrossFit Inc.