How to lose belly fat? It’s a question that is asked time and time again. So this article aims to answer it for you. The first, and most important step when you want to lose belly fat is nutrition. Without an intelligent and considered nutrition plan you will never reach your goals.
HOW TO LOSE BELLY FAT – UNDERSTANDING CALORIE BALANCE
Calorie balance is the ratio between calories taken in and calories expended in any one individual at any given time. This is the MOST IMPORTANT factor when it comes to changing your weight. What you actually need on a daily basis will be individual to you based on your age, lifestyle and fitness habits.
There are 3 states of calorie balance:
- Negative calorie balance (hypocaloric diet)
- Calorie balance (eucaloric diet)
- Positive Calorie balance (hypercaloric diet)
It is impossible to be in more than one of these states at any one time.
- A negative calorie balance will always result in weight loss. “Even though body water alterations may occasionally mask this loss of tissue, it is always going to occur, with ZERO exceptions so far discovered.”
- A eucalorie balance means that the athlete will not gain or lose weight because they expend as many calories as they consume.
- A positive calorie balance means that the individual is consuming more calories than they are using.
EATING THE RIGHT MACRO NUTRIENTS
The second most important aspect is making sure that you are eating the correct amount of macronutrients that your body needs. Macronutrients consist of:
- Protein (4 calories per gram)
- Fat (9 calories per gram)
- Carbohydrates (4 calories per gram)
There is technically a 4th, alcohol, but I’m not going into that one specifically. However if you drink alcohol, you should know that 1 gram of alcohol has 7 calories and they do count. They just won’t build muscle. For more detailed information, check out this article:
These first two steps will account for around 70% of your success when it comes to losing fat, so concentrate on them first before you move onto the finer details. Consult the article below for more information:
HOW TO LOSE BELLY FAT – TRACKING YOUR WEIGHT
You must track your weight over time so that you can objectively see if what you are doing is working.
It is a good idea to measure this out over the course of a week to cancel out most fluctuations, such as drinking more water.
TIP: When measuring fat loss (or muscle gain) over time, weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything. Measure your weight 2-3 times per week and record all results. This will give you a clear and consistent record of your progress.
Good luck and check out our nutrition page for more tips on how to improve your diet and health.
Once you have established that, then its time to workout, and that is where CrossFit fits in so perfectly. Select your next workout from the list below and take the first step on the journey towards a fitter, leaner and strong version of you!
Check out what workouts you should include in your programming…
- 15 Back Squat 275/185
- 1 Mile Run
- 12 Back Squats
- 1 Mile Run
- 9 Back Squats
Your legs will be destroyed after this!