This is the first year Adaptive athletes are able to officially compete in the CrossFit Open. A lot of thought has gone into how to appropriately scale the workouts for each adaptive division to ensure an inclusive but also fair competition.
Movements have been scaled so as to “minimize the impact of the athletes’ impairment on their performance so the athletes’ fitness is ultimately tested, not their degree of impairment.”
Find out how to complete 21.1 as an Adaptive athlete.
- 1 alternating lunge + burpee
- 10 double-unders
- 3 alternating lunges + burpees
- 30 double-unders
- 6 alternating lunges + burpees
- 60 double-unders
- 9 alternating lunges + burpees
- 90 double-unders
- 15 alternating lunges + burpees
- 150 double-unders
- 21 alternating lunges + burpees
- 210 double-unders
Time cap: 15 min.
View this post on Instagram
Alternating Lunges + Burpee
- The athlete begins each lunge standing tall with their feet together.
- One repetition of the alternating lunge + burpee requires a lunge on one leg followed by a lunge on the other leg and then a burpee.
- If time is called prior to the completion of the entire sequence, that repetition will not count.
- The trailing knee must make contact with the ground at the bottom of each lunge.
- The lunge is complete when both feet are brought back together.
- The athlete must perform one lunge on each leg for the alternating lunge repetition to count.
- Stepping forward or backward is allowed, but athletes must use the same direction for the entire workout (i.e., forward or reverse lunges).
- The athlete may begin the burpee after completing the lunges.
- The burpee begins with the athlete standing tall.
- The athlete may step and/or jump back to reach the bottom position.
- Chest and thighs must touch the ground at the bottom.
- Stepping and/or jumping back to the starting position are both permitted.
- The rep is credited when the athlete’s:
- feet leave the ground; and
- hand(s) are overhead; and
- hand(s), head, shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles are in a line vertically when the athlete is viewed from profile.
- Each set of alternating lunges + burpee counts as 1 repetition.
- The rope passes under the feet twice for each jump.
- The rope must spin forward for the rep to count.
- Only successful jumps are counted, not attempts.
- For equipment, a monorope or other modifications to jump rope equipment (e.g., strapping the handle to the forearm) are permitted.
Full movement standards here.