What happens to your body on steroids? Find out below.
Steroids are a type of organic compound that can have a wide range of physiological effects in humans and other animals. In the context of medicine, the term “steroids” often refers to corticosteroids, which are synthetic versions of hormones produced by the adrenal gland. Corticosteroids can be used to reduce inflammation and swelling, and are commonly prescribed to treat conditions such as asthma, arthritis, and allergic reactions.
But what we are going to talk about here are not the organic steroids, but rather another type. The anabolic steroids, which are synthetic versions of testosterone. Anabolic steroids are often used by athletes and bodybuilders to enhance performance and build muscle mass. However, they can have serious health consequences. The use of anabolic steroids without a prescription is illegal in many countries.
Typically, the use of anabolic steroids is also forbidden in competitions as it is proven to give an advantage to those who do it. These steroids are also referred to as “performance-enhancing drugs” or PEDs for short.
But what happens to your body on steroids? For that, we use the expertise of Max Posternak.
Max Posternak is the founder of Gravity Transformation, a website focused on giving tips and training guidance for people looking to improve their fitness and lose weight. His YouTube channel has over 5 million subscribers.
He shared a video explaining what happens to your body on steroids. Check it out.
What Happens To Your Body On Steroids
Before deciding on whether or not to take steroids, it is highly recommended that you seek medical expertise on the matter. This article is not intended to substitute any recommendation from a doctor or a medical staff.
With that being said, if you still want to know what happens to your body on steroids, this is what Posternak explained.
Steroids can stimulate protein synthesis and reduce protein breakdown. As a result, your muscles are more likely to stay at a positive protein turnover rate which benefits muscle growth. Steroids also help with nuclei found in muscle cells – the more you have, the more muscle you can potentially grow.
The creation of nuclei stays in the body even after you stop taking steroids. That means that, even though you might lose muscle mass now if you stop training, you will regain muscle faster than most people if you go back to training because of those steroids you took earlier in your life.
Steroids can also help your body burn more fat. But it is not all good news for the steroid team.
Posternak explains that taking synthetic testosterone can shut down your natural testosterone production. This can cause your testicles to become smaller which can impact your sperm production and, subsequently, make you infertile.
Anabolic steroids can have serious health consequences, including liver damage, high blood pressure, and an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Additionally, they can cause a range of negative physical and psychological effects, including acne, baldness, mood swings, and aggression.
Find out more in the video below.
Anabolic steroids are commonly used in the bodybuilding community to enhance muscle growth and improve athletic performance. According to various studies, a significant percentage of bodybuilders use anabolic steroids, with estimates ranging from 10% to 80% depending on the study and the population surveyed.
The amount of steroids used by bodybuilders can vary widely depending on the individual, the type of steroid, and the purpose for which it is being used. Some bodybuilders may use relatively low doses of steroids for a short period of time, while others may use high doses for extended periods of time. The use of high doses of anabolic steroids can increase the risk of negative health consequences, including liver damage, high blood pressure, and increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
The most common steroids used by bodybuilders include:
- Testosterone: Testosterone is the primary male hormone, and it is responsible for the development of male sex characteristics such as muscle mass and strength. It is also the most commonly used anabolic steroid in the bodybuilding community.
- Dianabol: Dianabol is an oral steroid that is often used to kickstart a bulking cycle. It is known for its ability to rapidly increase muscle mass and strength.
- Deca-Durabolin: Deca-Durabolin is an injectable steroid that is commonly used for bulking cycles. It is known for its ability to increase muscle mass and strength, as well as its ability to reduce joint pain.
- Trenbolone: Trenbolone is a powerful steroid that is often used by experienced bodybuilders. It is known for its ability to increase muscle mass and strength while also reducing body fat.
- Anadrol: Anadrol is an oral steroid that is often used for bulking cycles. It is known for its ability to rapidly increase muscle mass and strength, but it can also cause a range of side effects, including liver damage and high blood pressure.
It’s important to note that the use of anabolic steroids without a prescription is illegal in many countries, and can have serious health consequences.
- Syringe: Thirdman on Pexels