Results for the CrossFit Asia Invitational Semifinal are live and we now know who will be representing the continent at the 2021 CrossFit Games.
Athletes completed six workouts over three days this past weekend in hopes of earning one of the two CrossFit Games qualifying spots available per division.
CrossFit Asia Invitational Quick Stats
- 3 days of competition
- 6 virtual events
- 2 CrossFit Games qualifying spots per division
- 3 Last Chance Qualifier spots
CrossFit Asia Invitational Results
The men’s leaderboard is topped by three Russian athletes, who battled out for the top spot across the weekend. The men’s leaderboard – which might still change based on secondary review – stands as follows:
- Stas Solodov (544 pts.)
- Aleksandar Ilin (538 pts.)
- Roman Khrennikov (528 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
- Denis Samsonov (508 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
- Morteza Sedaghat (453 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
Stas Solodov secured a CrossFit Games spot during the Age Group Online Qualifier in the 35-39 Age Group, and has now qualified for the Individual division. Having finished 13th worldwide after the 2021 Open and picking up a runner-up finish in 21.2, he has shown he’s got what it takes to compete with the young guns.
Solodov finished all events within the top 7, stacked three 2nd-place finishes and won workout 6.
Aleksandar Ilin is a former CrossFit Games athlete, having finished 56th at the 2019 CrossFit Games, and was seeded first in the Asia continent coming into the Semifinal. He started the weekend with two first-place finishes (and would go on to collect a third one for workout 5) and unofficially holds the fastest time on workout 2 across all virtual Semifinal competitors.
On the women’s side, Svetlana Kubyshkina took the lead on day 2 and held on to it for the rest of the competition. The leaderboard – which until secondary review is over won’t be finally – stands as follows:
- Svetlana Kubyshkina (544 pts.)
- Seungyeon Choi (512 pts.)
- Svetlana Veselova (504 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
- Yuko Sakuyama (492 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
- Aizhan Zharasova (480 pts. – Last Chance Qualifier)
Svetlana Kubyshkina just had her best CrossFit Open finish this year and collected two event wins during this weekend, finishing all workouts inside the top 7.
She was followed by Seungyeon Choi from the Republic of Korea, who also finished all workouts within the top 10 and will be making her first trip to the CrossFit Games.
Out of the 18 participating teams, the battle for first place was hotly contended between two Affiliates. Kolesnikov Team and Team Dubai pretty much swapped first and second place finishes throughout the weekend, with the former collecting three event wins and three second place finishes and the latter three event wins, a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th place.
The team leaderboard shaped up as follows:
- Kolesnikov Team (585 pts.)
- Team Dubai (570 pts.)
- CrossFit Muharraq (495 pts)
- WOD Friends (465 pts.)
- Redyar (425 pts.)
Teams in bold received a CrossFit Games invite.
Find the full leaderboard here.
CrossFit Asia Invitational Recap
Day 1 Highlights
Day 2 Highlights
2021 CrossFit Games
The 2021 CrossFit Games will take place in Madison, Wisconsin between July 27 and August 1.
Individual and team athletes qualified through the brand new Semifinals, while Age Group Athletes were established during the Age Group Online Qualifier.
Overall, 40 men, 40 women and 40 teams from all around the world will compete for the chance to be titled “Fittest on Earth.” There will also be 20 athletes in each Age Division and Adaptive Athletes will compete at the Games for the first time.
There’s a prize purse of US $2.5 million on the line for top performers.
The final round of Semifinals has now over. The last two Individual athletes to qualify for the CrossFit Games will be established in the Last Chance Qualifier, an online competition scheduled for June 28 – July 4, 2021.
Asia Invitational Scoring Adjustments
MEN’S EVENT 1
- Roman Khrennikov: 21-sec. minor penalty for failure to extend elbows in thruster
TEAM EVENT 1
- Kolesnikov Team: 12-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization in thruster
- CrossFit Muharraq: 16-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization in chest-to-bar pull-up
- Team Dubai: 38-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization in chest-to-bar pull-up and burpee
- MVMT Dubai: 19-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization in thruster and burpee
- CrossFit Sprut: 46-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization in chest-to-bar pull-up and burpee
- Terfit: 1:49 major penalty for lack of synchronization in thruster and failure to perform chest-to-bar pull-ups
MEN’S EVENT 2
- Anton Yakovlev: 8-sec. minor penalty for failure to touch foot pads during GHD sit-up
- Vladimir Sechin: 2:07 major penalty for resting the dumbbell in the heel of the hand during dumbbell overhead squats
WOMEN’S EVENT 2
- Svetlana Veselova: 7-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach depth during the dumbbell overhead squat
- Svetlana Kubyshkina: 28-sec. minor penalty for resting the dumbbell in the heel of the hand during dumbbell overhead squat and failure to touch the foot pad with both hands during GHD sit-up
- Kamila Takeyeva: 10-sec. minor penalty for failure to touch the foot pad during GHD sit-up
- Seher Kaya: 36-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach depth and or extension during dumbbell overhead squat
TEAM EVENT 2
- Terfit: 20-sec. minor penalty for failure to touch the foot pad during GHD sit-up
- CrossFit Sprut: 12-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach depth during dumbbell overhead squat
- CrossFit Muharraq: 3:46 major penalty for failure to extend the hip during dumbbell deadlift and lack of depth in dumbbell overhead squat
- Kolesnikov Team: 16-sec. minor penalty for lack of synchronization during shoulder-to-overhead and failure to reach depth during dumbbell overhead squat
- MVMT Dubai: 3:29 major penalty for failure to touch the ground overhead during GHD sit-ups, lack of synchronization during GHD sit-ups and shoulder-to-overheads, and failure to reach depth during dumbbell overhead squat
- Team K-pop: 47-rep major penalty for lack of depth during dumbbell overhead squat
MEN’S EVENT 3
- ZhenHua Zhou: 19-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach a position of support during the ring muscle-up
- Timofey Prolubnikov: 3-sec. score adjustment to accurate finish time
- Stas Solodov: 2:23 major penalty for failure to extend elbows during the ring muscle-up
- Morteza Sedaghat: 34-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach a position of support during the ring muscle-up
- Aleksandar Ilin: 20-sec. minor penalty for failure to extend hips/knees during the walking lunge
WOMEN’S EVENT 3
- Alexsandra Buzunova: 48-sec. minor penalty for failure to extend elbows during the ring muscle-up
- Akikio Kamitani: 23-sec. minor penalty for failure to reach a support position during the ring muscle-up
TEAM EVENT 3
- WOD Friends: 2:10 minor penalty for lack of synchronization and failure to travel the appropriate distance during the walking lunge
- Stadion Team Koco: 10-sec. minor penalty for failure to perform the required number of muscle-ups
- MVMT Dubai: 25-rep minor penalty for failure to extend elbows during the ring muscle-up
MEN’S EVENT 4
- Nasser Alruwayeh: 1-rep minor penalty for not finishing the snatch with the feet in line
WOMEN’S EVENT 4
- Svetlana Kubyshkina: Tiebreak time modified to reflect accurate time taken to complete the 30th repetition
TEAM EVENT 4
- WOD Friends: 30-lb. weight adjustment to reflect accurate combination of loading
TEAM EVENT 5
- Terfit: 3-rep minor penalty for failure to cross the line with both hands during handstand walk
MEN EVENT 6
- Denis Samsonov: 1-sec. score adjustment to reflect accurate finish time
- Eren Kim: 4-sec. minor penalty for stepping on line during clean and jerk
WOMEN EVENT 6
- Seher Kaya: 1-sec. score adjustment to reflect accurate finish time
TEAM EVENT 6
- Team Dubai: 6-sec. minor penalty for failure to finish clean and jerk with feet in line
- Kolesnikov team: 6-sec. minor penalty for failure to keep feet within the width of the plates during bar-facing burpee
- Alioth X: 32-sec. minor penalty for failure to extend hips/knees at the top of the snatch
- WOD Friends: 12-sec. minor penalty for failure to keep feet within the width of the plates during bar-facing burpee
Any updates to the Asia Invitational scoring adjustments will be published here.
- crossfit-asia-invitational-semifinal-results: Images courtesy of CrossFit Inc.