AMRAP WODs are common in Crossfit. Because AMRAPs challenge you to push as hard as possible, they are one of the best types of workouts you can do in effort to reach your fitness goals.
AMRAP workouts accommodate all levels of fitness. They are also beginner-friendly. So regardless of your skill level, you can participate and benefit, they allow everyone to do the same workout at their own pace. One individual might finish 5 rounds in a 20-minute AMRAP while someone else finishes 7. It doesn’t mean that one person worked harder than the other. In fact, they probably worked at the same intensity! Usually the person who finished 5 rounds is just as fatigued at the end as the person who finished 7.
Not only do AMRAP WODs force you to work super hard during the entire workout, they also have a time limit on them – which makes them a little mentally easier to get through than time challenge workouts since you know the pain will only last so long.
BENEFITS OF AMRAP WODS
- Time Efficient. Because AMRAP workouts are done for a specific amount of time, they are usually designed to be under 30 minutes. There aren’t many other ways to get a full body workout done in that amount of time!
- Stresses the importance of form. AMRAP workouts have a specified number of lifts and exercises for each round. Crossfit coaches start you off slow, ensuring your form is correct. Without getting the proper technique and form perfected first, you run the risk of injury when trying to do the lifts for time. However, once you get the form right, the number of rounds you complete during an AMRAP drastically improves!
- Good measurement of progress. Because there is a metric you can measure based on the AMRAP, you can test your progress every so often to see how much you have improved! That means, these are good for anyone to start and continue doing, regardless of fitness level.
- Similar results as endurance training. Doing short, high intensity workouts such as these regularly have similar endurance benefits as running or biking for an hour or more a day. Not only that, but it works your entire body and does not just focus on one area such as your legs, arms or core.
- Improves strength and conditioning. Most AMRAP workouts include a wide variety of movements and lifts that test your strength, flexibility, and conditioning.
- They can be done almost anywhere. Whether it is at your favorite local Crossfit box or somewhere outside, if the AMRAP doesn’t require a lot of equipment, the possibilities are endless.
Check this AMRAP generator.
You can do nearly every WOD as an AMRAP but here are…
5 AMRAPS ALL CROSSFITTERS MUST TRY:
- 20min AMRAP
- 5 Pull-ups
- 10 Push-ups
- 15 Squats
- 20min AMRAP
- 5 Handstand push-ups
- 10 1-legged squats
- 15 Pull-ups
- 20min AMRAP
- Run 400 meters
- Max rep Pull-ups
4. Open Workout 16.4
- 13min AMRAP
- 55 deadlifts
- 55 wall-ball shots
- 55-calorie row
- 55 handstand push-ups
Men deadlift 225 lb. and throw 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target
Women deadlift 155 lb. and throw 14-lb. ball to 9-ft. target
5. Open Workout 13.5
- 4 minute AMRAP
- 15 Thrusters (100 / 65 lbs)
- 15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
- *4 minute bonus for every 90 reps (3 rounds) completed.